Location: Valhalla, New York
As an MRI Tech you will be responsible for technical work involving the operation of magnetic resonance scanners to obtain images for use by physicians in the diagnosis and treatment of pathologies. Work involves performing diagnostic procedures, positioning patients, maintaining and adjusting console and peripheral hardware. Does related work as required.
- Performs diagnostic procedures by operating scanner to obtain images and related data that are used by physicians to render medical diagnoses;
- Obtains, reviews and compiles pertinent patient history, physical examinations and supporting clinical data to facilitate diagnostic results;
- Selects appropriate imaging techniques and operates console and peripheral hardware;
- Transfers, positions and instructs patients in preparation for procedures using specialized equipment and procedures;
- Performs appropriate quality assurance procedures, tests and measurements deemed necessary by supervisor;
- Processes film images using standard darkroom procedures and inspects the quality and completeness of the images;
- Prepares and maintains records and files of procedures and makes copies of films when requested;
- Troubleshoots equipment failure and advises supervisor of faulty equipment;
- Ensures equipment is functioning properly on a continual basis;
- Consults with referring physicians as required;
- Establishes and maintains effective working relationships with medical and nursing staff to ensure adequate and timely servicing of patients;
- Participates in continuing education programs in MRI techniques.
- May be requested to assist in the development of techniques for procedures;
- May assist in the use of a variety of equipment and procedures not routinely employed.
Thorough knowledge of the modern procedures in the performance of magnetic console and resonance imaging for diagnostic purposes; thorough knowledge of the operation of console and peripheral equipment; good knowledge of the required safety precautions in the operation and use of equipment; good knowledge of human anatomy; skill in the operation and use of the equipment; skill in the operation and minor repair of complex MRI equipment; ability to understand and carry out complex oral and written directions; ability to direct and instruct others; ability to handle sick and injured patients properly; thoroughness; reliability; good judgment; physical condition commensurate with the demands of the position.
Licenses / Certifications:
Possession of a valid license and current registration issued by the New York State Department of Health as a Radiologic Technologist in the field of diagnostic radiography and two years of experience in a hospital x-ray department or a private radiological service performing MRI's.
Special Requirements: Must be certified and maintain current registration with the American Registry of Radiologic Technicians (ARRT) in the field of magnetic resonance imaging.