Location: Poughkeepsie, New York
Processes, and analyzes biological specimens according to defined procedures using independent judgment, effectively integrating the pre-analytic, analytic and post-analytic components in the process. Follows established protocol for quality assurance and quality improvement. Recognizes problems and actively participates in problem resolution. May supervise co-workers and evaluate technical staff competencies.
- Performs routine and special analysis of specimens according to established protocol.
- Recognizes and documents abnormal and inconsistent test results and independently follows through according to established protocol.
- Follows protocol for critical/panic values.
- Demonstrates knowledge of test theory and correlates lab data.
- Reviews co-workers reports where appropriate, for release.
- Consistently seeks/consults other departments to assist in workflow efficiencies when immediate tasks are completed, in order to expedite patient care.
- Demonstrates and maintains competencies in all applicable testing areas. Demonstrates a high level of competency in all clinical departments and limited Microbiology and performs testing/procedures independently with minimal supervision.
- Analyzes quality control material in accordance with laboratory policy.
- Follows through independently with corrective action and documentation and takes appropriate measures to correct problems. Proactively alerts supervisors to quality control trends and other potential problems.
- Actively participates in department-based Quality Improvement projects.
- Assists supervisor with test method comparisons, correlation studies or other validation studies for new or current test systems.
- Assists supervisor in collating data, material, etc. for quality management program.
- Performs routine preventive maintenance of all departmental equipment/instruments.
- Recognizes instrument malfunction and/or reagent problems and is able to troubleshoot and repair minor and major instrument problems. Independently initiates communication with service/vendor in order to problem solve instrumentation/equipment. Acts independently to determine alternative testing procedures.
- Maintains department inventory, communicating with Supervisor or designee when inventory becomes low, in order to assure continuity of patient testing.
- Acts as a technical resource for technologists, technicians, physicians and other professional staff. Interfaces with clinicians during off-hours and answers questions/concerns related to laboratory tests and procedures.
- Serves as a resource for co-workers and phlebotomy staff. Assists phlebotomists in problem-solving patient and/or specimen issues. Supports other technical staff in identifying instrument/specimen issues, reporting of specialized test results, etc.
- Participates in the continuing education programs offered in the clinical departments and through the hospital.
- Initiates and presents a department-specific in-service related to education of staff.
- Performs venipuncture duties within assigned time frame for routine, timed and stat orders. Reports to Codes as required within established time frame and follows all technical and administrative protocol
- Accurately correlates orders with specimens ensuring proper identification of specimen and follows up with unit as needed.
- Assesses quality and appropriateness (QNS, clotted, labeling, proper collection/container, etc.) of specimens and follows through accordingly (redraw, communicates/notifies nursing unit, etc.)Other responsibilities
- Demonstrate effective utilization of computer systems to perform testing for patient care functions. Identifies/makes recommendations for process improvements related to LIS, test analyzers and/or manual test methods.
- Oversee department / testing activities in Supervisor's absence.
- Performs other related duties as directed.
- Organizes, develops and/or maintains an information system/computer project or program.
- Evaluates technical staff competencies, as appropriate.
- Demonstrates sound, independent judgment, effectively and professionally resolving problem situations.
- Must satisfy one of the education and training pathways for Clinical Laboratory Technologist as outlined in the NYS Education Law through either the standard pathway or one of the special provision pathwaysand
- Current licensure in New York State as a Clinical Laboratory Technologistor
- Verification of pending application to NYS as a Clinical Laboratory Technologist and a Limited Permit to Practice Clinical Laboratory Technology (Note: Application of Limited Permit to NYS Ed occurs once individual is hired into the position)
- If applicable, the individual performing this job may reasonably anticipate coming into contact with human blood and other potentially infectious materials. Individuals in this position are required to exercise universal precautions, use personal protective equipment and devices, and learn the policies concerning infection control.
- Certification in a national accrediting agency preferred.
MidHudson Regional Hospital
MidHudson Regional Hospital in Poughkeepsie, NY, is home to the mid-Hudson Valley's most advanced healthcare services. This 243-bed facility cares for more than 10,000 inpatients annually while performing an additional 325,000 outpatient procedures each year. MidHudson Regional Hospital operates the area's only Level II trauma center, is home to the Redl Center for Cancer Care and Center for Robotic Surgery, and is a destination hospital for patients with serious illnesses and injuries.