Your pay and benefits are important components of your journey at Sonora Quest Your Your pay and benefits are important components of your journey at Sonora Quest Laboratories/Laboratory Sciences of Arizona. This opportunity includes the option to participate in a variety of health, financial, and security benefits. In addition, this position may be eligible for our Management or Sales Incentive Programs as part of your Total Rewards package.
POSITION SUMMARY The Scientific Medical Director is responsible for providing system-level scientific and clinical direction to the clinical laboratory within his/her area(s) of expertise which will maximize quality patient care and ensure continuous business growth. The Scientific Medical Director reports to a designated member of the senior leadership team and to the appropriate licensed Medical Director of LSA/SQL and is responsible for oversight of all licensed and unlicensed personnel in the department. Other responsibilities include providing technical interpretation of results and signing reports; providing consultations with physicians, overseeing R&D projects if appropriate, implementing new assays/assay troubleshooting, participation in QA responsibilities, and reviewing SOPs. Assumes Clinical Consultant responsibilities and participates on system-level LSA/SQL committees as assigned/required.
CORE FUNCTIONS 1. Uses standard laboratory procedures to diagnose from body tissue, fluids, secretions, and other specimens, the presence and stage of diseases. Reviews, interprets and documents clinical test results within established turnaround times.
2. Honors requests for consultations from clinicians regarding the appropriateness and interpretation of laboratory tests (Due to the importance of quality patient care, servicing consultation requests of all types is considered imperative). Provides input for new research developments in the appropriate fields of expertise. Makes recommendations on incorporating new tests for development.
3. May direct, supervise, and evaluate the work of staff, whether direct or indirect reporting structure. Holds staff accountable for achieving plans and performance targets. Works with them to identify and resolve the most complex issues and problems impacting initiatives and operations. Develops staff to ensure continued professional growth and to provide the competencies the company needs to support its growth and long-term success. Articulates and demonstrates an expectation for continuous quality improvement utilizing processes that include consideration of all stakeholders. Fosters an environment that focuses on processes and outcomes. May provide oversight for multiple labs across the LSA/SQL system.
4. Provides educational programs for the medical and laboratory staff as required. Promotes, supports and exhibits behavior consistent with the Mission, Vision and Values of the Integrated Laboratory System and customer-focused care. Ensures that all company policies and procedures are followed.
5. Interacts with internal (Client Services, Support Services, Lab staff, Sales and Marketing) and external customers of the organization to facilitate and foster increased transfer of information related to medicine and science; works closely with Sales staff to provide appropriate medical scientific support as well.
6. Assumes Clinical Consultant and/or Technical Supervisor responsibilities in specialty as delegated by CLIA “Laboratory Director Responsibilities” Policy including:
• Approving test method selection and validation.
• Ensuring that the proficiency testing program is conducted in a timely manner, reviewed by appropriate staff, and approval of corrective action when a proficiency testing result is found to be unsatisfactory.
• Establishing and monitoring quality control to ensure that acceptable levels of analytical performance are maintained for each test system. Ensuring that patient test results are reported only when the system is functioning properly.
• Consulting on all corrective action and preventative action plans and procedures as requested.
• Annually reviewing/approving Standard Operating Procedures for test systems.
MINIMUM QUALIFICTIONS • PhD in clinical laboratory science, medical technology or in chemical or biological sciences. • Five (5) years’ experience as Director of a Medical/Clinical Laboratory in field of study. • Board certification by the appropriate specialty board and/or appropriate State DOH personnel License/Eligibility as required by field of study.
PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS • Seven (7) years’ appropriate specialty experience. • Three (3) years’ experience leading staff.
Let's build your future, together. At Sonora Quest Laboratories/Laboratory Sciences of Arizona, we believe in building rewarding and long-lasting careers. Winning Governor's Award for Quality and being named one of the "Most Admired Companies in Arizona" for several years in a row tells us we're on the right path. Join us and let's get started on your future!
Sonora Quest Laboratories is a proud partner of Banner Health. We are proud to offer a comprehensive benefit package for all benefit-eligible positions. Please visit our Benefits Guide for more information.
Let's build your future, together.At Sonora Quest Laboratories/Laboratory Sciences of Arizona, we believe in building rewarding and long-lasting careers. Winning the Governor’s Award for Quality and being named one of the “Most Admired Companies in Arizona” for eight years in a row tells us we’re on the right path. Join us and let’s get started on your future!