The lab supervisor is responsible for directing, supervising, and coordinating laboratory staff and activities at office(s) affiliated with The Skin Surgery Center and QualDerm Partners of NC, LLC to provide quality, cost-effective dermatological and dermatopathology care. Provides leadership and support for Mohs Histotechs and paraffin lab Histotechs, Reports to the Director of Practice Operations.
Plans, organizes, and manages all aspects of the practice’s lab services including the development and administration of policies on Mohs’ lab processes and Paraffin lab processes. Ensures that the functions of the lab address the overall goals and compliance needs of the practice. Educates and monitors physicians and staff for adherence to policies and compliance with regulations. Supervisor monitors on a daily basis the lab quality assurance measures and is responsible for completing monthly reports to the administration.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Fosters teamwork through the distribution of personnel across intra-departmental teams in pursuit of the Practice standards.
• Emphasizes cooperation and coordination between lab and other departments to achieve operational effectiveness.
• Communicate Practice related activities to the team.
• Provides frequents informal and regular formal feedback to direct reports.
• Promotes the Practice both internally and externally.
• Interacts with the administrative and physician team to develop strategic planning.
• Develop departmental objectives, establishes staffing patterns and organizes the work of the department. • Plans and conducts lab meeting on a regular basis. Communicates changes and updates the lab staff in a timely fashion.
• Interfaces with Dermatopathologist and Lab Director to achieve the highest quality dual lab.
• Conducts performance reviews as required. Assesses staffing patterns and performance issues recommending changes as needed. Works with employees to develop departmental and individual goals.
• Designs work schedules, hours, and duty assignments. Coordinates staff schedules and scheduled time off.
• Develops, maintains, implements, and provides training for up-to-date job descriptions. • Interacts with the IT vendors on computer operations and reporting issues for department.
• Prepares month end reports and spreadsheets as required by administration.
• Performs QA audits regarding staff work products and output including review of quality of slides and biopsy QA review. Performs necessary training to staff based in the results of the work product audit.
• Provides assistance to all management/administrative staff related to the performance of lab processes.
• Develops and implements lab policies and procedures, including all aspects of federal and state mandated compliance.
• Maintains relationships with outside contacts to stay knowledgeable of developments in lab processes in general and that of the Practice’s in particular.
• Travels between offices as needed to accomplish managerial duties.
• Assists in performance improvement development and activities/reports on progress at QA meetings
• Collaborates with site managers, Area Practice Administrators, Director of Practice Operations and Regional VP and other senior leadership in the selection and management of resources for a specific site or company-wide
• Participates in the selection and supervision of lab personnel
• Assists with HR related activities, such as coaching/counseling, corrective action and performance reviews in coordination with Director of Practice Operations
• Communicates and follows up on any site incidents
• Works with the Director of Practice Operations and corporate Finance team on yearly budget creation, implementation and maintenance, specifically related to FTEs, clinical products/supplies and resources
• Monitors and maintains company-wide cost-containment activities from a lab perspective in consultation with Director of Practice Operations and other key personnel • Provides staff satisfaction through rounding, staff meetings and other necessary activities to promote employee engagement
• Works with all providers, including MDs, PAs, NPs and rounds frequently to foster working relationship. Seeks input from providers before implementing changes from a lab perspective • Works with key personnel on any procedural activities related to sharps injury, exposure to blood and other bodily fluids in the workplace
• Set a positive example for others in practice by upholding the mission, vision and values, as well as the culture of The Skin Surgery Center and QualDerm Partners of NC, LLC.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS:
• Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent under the CLIA guidelines for high complexity testing, and/or HT ASCP certification
• Knowledge of lab design and operation
• Minimum of five to seven years’ experience in a lab setting
• Excellent oral communication skills
• Able to demonstrate independent judgment and initiative appropriately
• Demonstrated experience of managing a highly complex, multi-site location operation highly preferred
QualDerm Partners develops strategic dermatology practice partnerships through acquisition. Our dermatology practice management strategies help dermatologists and Mohs surgeons leverage their success. QualDerm provides the management support, capital and guidance for sustainable growth and profitability. With QualDerm, physicians get the benefit of being part of a larger, support-driven organization while preserving their clinical autonomy and practice brand.