Employee will be available to support FTE during absence and perform phlebotomy and hematology testing including 3 part cell differential.
Possesses and utilizes technical knowledge and skill regarding principles and techniques of laboratory medicine as well as testing methodology. Performs a wide variety of assays/procedures within a clinical laboratory service with documented expertise. Works independently and assesses test results for validity prior to reporting. Position requires excellent verbal communication, significant computer skills and ability to interface with a broad spectrum of health care professionals in a collaborative manner.
1) Verifies appropriateness of specimens, accurately labels and identifies specimens. Alerts appropriate health care provider(s) regarding critical results
2) Assists in the development QA indicators and collection of pertinent data.
3) Reports results within established Turnaround Times. Prioritizes work and maintains acceptable level of productivity. Communicates regarding issues that may affect quality of results and/or Turnaround Time.
4) Incumbent possess sufficient theoretical knowledge to understand tests, and basic clinical significance of results. Identify and participate in solving problems. Communicates with work team and/or supervisor regarding problems. Performs basic trouble shooting of testing requests, referring issues to supervisor as necessary.
5) Demonstrates excellent communication, teamwork and customer service skills. Records of work performed, quality control and documentation of issues are thorough and complete, consistent with all departmental requirements and those of regulatory agencies. Courteous and helpful in all interactions with patients, visitors, co-workers and health care providers.
6) As assigned, assists in projects or studies. Assists in orientation and training of staff.
7) Maintains awareness of and follows all corporate and BHS Pathology compliance policies and procedures
8) Observes and promotes the BHS organizational standards of behavior.
9) Reviews pending log daily and follows up on missing specimens and missing results.
10) Develops and proofreads departmental procedures and protocols for accuracy.
You Belong At Baystate
At Baystate Health we know that treating one another with dignity and equity is what elevates respect for our patients and staff. It makes us not just an organization, but also a community where you belong. It is how we advance the care and enhance the lives of all people.
DIVERSE TEAMS. DIVERSE PATIENTS. DIVERSE LOCATIONS.
Associate of Arts: Clinical Laboratory Science (Required)
Medical Laboratory Technician – American Society for Clinical Pathology
For more information, please visit us online and apply to job req# R6991 or R6993 at: baystatehealthjobs.com or interact with us socially at facebook.com/BaystateCareers or on Twitter @BaystateCareers.
All correspondence can be directed to:
Talent Acquisition Consultant
Baystate Health is an Equal Opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, ancestry, age, genetic information, disability, or protected veteran status.
Internal Number: -
About Baystate Health
Baystate Health is a nationally ranked, award-winning, multi-institutional healthcare system located in the beautiful Connecticut River Valley of Western Massachusetts. Baystate Health was recently recognized as a Thompson Reuters Top 15 Health System for outstanding clinical performance and quality outcomes and Baystate Medical Center was recently recognized as the #5 overall “Major Teaching Hospital” in Thompson Reuters 100 Top Hospitals for their overall organizational performance in patient care, operational efficiency and financial stability. Baystate Medical Center is a Leapfrog, Top Hospital and a Magnet Hospital for Nursing Excellence. Our hospitals and practices are just steps from the ivy-covered buildings of prestigious colleges and universities, and we enjoy easy access to Boston, New York City, the snow covered slopes of Vermont, and the beaches of the Cape and Islands. Finding your niche is easy — it starts with Baystate Health.