AMP is growing again! We are looking to add a Medical Technologist to our team.
The role of the Medical Technologist at Associated Medical Professionals (AMP) is to analyze samples of blood, tissue and body fluids to determine chemical content, cell count, drug levels or blood type; they may also search for specific microorganisms like bacteria or parasites. Preparing the samples for examination, using automated equipment and specialized instrumentation, performing numerous complicated tests simultaneously, and accurately interpreting the results.
• Performs a broad range of laboratory procedures including all testing and tasks of the medical laboratory technician occupation. In addition, performs advanced and high complexity laboratory procedures; recognizes deviation from expected results; analyzes and corrects problems using scientific principles.
• Evaluates pre-analytic component of patient testing to ensure specimen integrity and sample viability.
• Maintains and documents the optimal functioning of laboratory equipment. Uses, calibrates, identifies malfunctions, repairs and performs preventative maintenance of laboratory equipment. Diagnoses deviations in test performance due to instrument malfunction.
• Performs and documents quality control and assurance activities and corrective actions related to test performance using statistical principles and theories of performance improvement.
• Adheres to practices and regulations governing biosafety and biosecurity in the workplace.
• Answers inquiries regarding test results, methodology, test specificity, test sensitivity, and specific factors, which influence test results. Evaluates and implements new techniques and procedures in the laboratory in terms of equipment, method comparison, and establishment of reference intervals using statistical methods and theoretical knowledge. Interprets findings and makes recommendations.
• Assists in delivery of physicians reports via phone and electronic distribution in a timely manner.
• Responds to 'technical question' calls from units and physicians.
• Maintain instrument service records, installation documentation and yearly service contracts and maintenance needed of equipment.
• Oversee adequate supply inventories; monitor consumable(s) expiration dates. Order products when indicated.
• Prepare, stain and read gram stains
• Testing of patient samples using: rapid EIA and PCR technologies.
• Report results of testing via LIS/ instrument interface, as well as manual data entry; communicating results to patient care providers and answering telephone inquiries;
• Assist with validation of new testing platform(s), assays, or procedures prior to coming on-board laboratory menu.
• Retain records of laboratory equipment/maintenance, patient, and test results. Maintain records following the guidelines of accrediting agency.
• Follow protocols for the established QC program within parameters for acceptable levels of performance and verify lot numbers and expiration dates on reagents and controls
• Organizes work by matching computer orders with specimen labeling; sorting specimens; checking labeling; logging specimens; arranging reports for delivery; keeping work surfaces clean and orderly.
• Identifies and communicates abnormal patient conditions by alerting supervisory personnel, the pathologist, the patient physician, or nurse; reporting mandated information to the public health department or other designated officials.
• Provides test results for patient diagnosis and treatment by operating chemistry equipment; performing hand chemistries such as preparing quality controls and calibrations.
• Provides test results for patient diagnosis and treatment by operating hematology analyzer and chemistry equipment; performing hand chemistries.
Bachelor of Science Degree in Medical Technology.
NYS licensed as clinical laboratory technologist.
At least one (1) year of experience is preferred.
Internal Number: 2
About Associated Medical Professionals
Associated Medical Professionals strives to provide quality healthcare at each of the 9 convenient locations and 10 hospitals around CNY for their patients. As a pivotal point of care in each community, A.M.P. is able to provide continuity of care for a vast population of patients.
Not only does Associated Medical Professionals have highly trained Medical Specialists, but they have a well-trained and very knowledgeable clinical staff that delivers continuity of care unlike any other organization in the area. As a result of AMP's continuous expansion, they have developed a skilled support staff of over 250 employees which provide clinical and operational support. The knowledgeable billing department provides internal support for the practice and all of the patients.