Good health care is key to a good life. At Banner Health, we understand that, and that's why we work hard every day to make a difference in people's lives. We've united under a common goal: Make health care easier, so life can be better. It's a lofty goal, but it's one we're committed to seeing through. Do you like the idea of making a positive change in people's lives - and your own? If so, this could be the perfect opportunity for you. Apply now
Extraordinary care for children occurs at Banner Thunderbird Medical Center Pediatrics Oncology Outpatient Clinic. The clinic hours are from 8am-4:30pm and the hours required for this role will flex sometime in these hours Monday-Friday. No weekends/holidays required!
This opening is for a Part-time Medical Assistant. As a Medical Assistant in the Clinic, you will primarily be responsible for office support, checking in and scheduling patients. You will assist with checking patient vitals and assisting with patient care as well.
Your pay and benefits (Total Rewards) are important components of your Journey at Banner Health. Banner Health offers a variety of benefit plans to help you and your family. We provide health and financial security options, so you can focus on being the best at what you do and enjoying your life.
Nonprofit Banner Thunderbird Medical Center opened its doors in 1983 and has been growing ever since to meet the health care needs of the communities it serves in northwest metropolitan Phoenix. Today, the 555-bed hospital - one of the largest hospitals in the state - is annually ranked as one of the top hospitals in the Phoenix metropolitan area by US News & World Report and enjoys a reputation as the preferred provider of care to children and adults in the area in consumer preference surveys. The tertiary care hospital provides everything from routine to advanced, specialized care to both adult and pediatric patients. Specialized services include cardiology, orthopedic surgery, pediatrics, neurosurgery, robotic surgery, stroke care and a women and infants services program. Additionally, in partnership with top-ranked MD Anderson Cancer Center, Banner Thunderbird also offers state-of-the-art cancer care. Banner Thunderbird is certified as a Joint Commission Primary Stroke Center and features a 35-bed Level III neonatal intensive care unit that cares for babies of high-risk pregnancies and those born prematurely. Banner Thunderbird is also home to the only pediatric intensive care unit for seriously ill or injured children in the area. If you would like to contribute to truly leading edge caring, we invite you to bring your experience and skills to Banner Thunderbird.
POSITION SUMMARY This position is responsible for assisting clinicians and nursing staff in providing medical care, as well as, implementing and evaluating direct patient care. This position utilizes specialized knowledge, judgment and skills to provide an excellent patient experience.
CORE FUNCTIONS 1. Prepares patient for exam and treatment by taking and recording vital signs, symptoms and other necessary measurements and recording chief complaint; documents pain scores as appropriate. Reports condition of patient which may be indicative of change in the patient's condition to the clinician.
2. Assists providers with exams and minor in-office procedures which could include taking patients' blood pressure, documenting respiration and heart rate/pulse, taking temperature, as well as performing phlebotomies, ear irrigation and EKG's. Acts as chaperon as needed. Uses universal blood and body fluid precautions at all times and personal protective equipment as needed. Responsible for prioritization of patient flow through clinical process.
3. Coordinates and manages patient care including pre-certifications, referrals, authorizations, prescriptions and scheduling of patients for clinic, hospital and other ancillary medical treatments and tests. Responsible for communicating test results to patient. Acts as a resource to clinician in order to provide optimal patient care. May administer medications in accordance with established policies and procedures or as directed.
4. Provides clerical support with patient/client notifications and documentation to include but not limited to complete medical records including labs, authorizations, X-Rays, hospital records and any previous care pertaining to each patient visit. Provides complete and accurate information necessary for billing related to the patient encounter in a timely fashion.
5. Maintains a clean, functional environment including cleaning and disinfection of equipment, exam rooms and storage areas. Disinfects equipment and instruments using appropriate solutions following sterilization procedures. Follows manufacturer's recommendations and OSHA guidelines in handling of hazardous substances. Performs basic maintenance of equipment and coordinates needed maintenance for prompt repairs.
6. Orders supplies as directed, stocks patient care areas. Medication ordering and tasks related to all medications (e.g. expired medications/equipment and recalls).
7. Develops and maintains effective communication mechanism with all external and internal customers. Exemplifies service orientation and the team concept in all contacts.
8. This position will complete all necessary on-boarding/orientation activities, including simulation training, as needed or directed.
9. This position works under the direct supervision of the providers. This position interacts with all levels of staff in a variety of departments, physicians, patients, families and external contacts, such as employees of other health care institutions, community providers and agencies, concerning the health care of the patient. Also interacts with physician's offices in order to report, ask for or clarify information. Prioritizes data from multiple sources to provide support for the response of the patient and family to changes in health status.
High school diploma/GED or equivalent working knowledge. Completion of an approved medical assistant training program as defined by state regulations.
Active Medical Assistant Certification is required. Certification or additional training must meet the requirements for Meaningful use. BLS certification required. Active Medical Assistant certification such as: Registered Medical Assistant (RMA) with proof of current membership from American Medical Technologists (AMT) or Certified Medical Assistant (CMA) with proof of current membership from American Association of Medical Assistants (AAMA) or Certified Clinical Medical Assistant (CCMA) with proof of current membership from National Health Career Association (NHA) (Test administered after 7/1/2017 only) or National Certified Medical Assistant (NCMA) with proof of current membership from National Certified Competency Testing (NCCT).
Requires strong computer skills, including the ability to work with medical software. Requires exceptional interpersonal and communication skills. Requires the ability to manage multiple changing priorities in an effective and organized fashion.
Employees working at the Whole Health Clinic must possess an Arizona Fingerprint Clearance Card at the time of hire and maintain the card for the duration of their employment.
Experience with office medical procedures and treatments and knowledge of insurance, managed care operations, EMR and scheduling software preferred.
Additional related education and/or experience preferred.
Internal Number: R14250
About Banner Health
You want to change the health care industry – one life at a time. You belong here. You’re excited to be part of the dramatic changes happening in the health care field. In fact, you thrive on change. But you also understand that excellent, compassionate patient care is the true measure of the success of these changes. You belong at Banner Health. Our award-winning, comprehensive health system includes 23 hospitals in seven western states, primary care health centers, research centers, labs, a network of physician practices and much more. Throughout our system, skilled, compassionate professionals use the latest technology to change the way care is provided. If you’re looking to be a key contributor to a forward-looking organization, you’ll experience a wide variety of professional advantages: •Our vision for changing the future of health care gives you the opportunity to leverage your abilities to achieve something historic. •Our expansive system offers you an unmatched variety of clinical settings – from large urban trauma center to small rural hospital, ambulatory to home health. Our system also includes hospitals specializing in cancer, heart health and pediatrics. •Our many loc...ations also translate into a broad selection of exciting and rewarding lifestyle options – from the big city to the wide-open spaces. •Our commitment to healthcare innovation means you always have the latest technologies at your fingertips to help you provide the finest care possible. •The size, success and growth of our system provide you with the stability and options to pursue your desired career path. •Our competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits offer you options to complement your unique needs.