Under direction of the Manager of Immunohematology Reference Laboratory, performs advanced immunohematology testing on clinical and research specimens for the resolution of serologic problems and provides the correct blood product for transfusion based on these results. Performs and interprets molecular testing on clinical and research specimens if applicable to the laboratory. Perform blood product component preparation if applicable to the laboratory. Provides the most appropriate blood in a timely and accurate manner and provides phone consultation to customers.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Handles and processes specimens, ensuring proper identification.
• Performs serologic and molecular tests according to SOP on clinical, study, QC and research samples.
• Recognizes and resolves procedural discrepancies in testing results.
• Interprets laboratory results.
• Reports laboratory results.
• Maintains accurate and complete records.
• Perform reagent preparation
• Operates laboratory equipment correctly and perform quality control testing on equipment and reagents. Knows acceptable levels of performance.
• Maintains controlled inventories of reagents and laboratory materials.
• Performs secondary review and release of test results and provides feedback to ensure accurate reporting of results.
• Adheres to all required FDA, AABB (American Association of Blood Banks),CLIA (Clinical Laboratory Improvement Act), OSHA (Occupational Safety and Health Administration), and CAP (College of American Pathology) regulations. Follows cGMP (current Good Manufacturing Practices) standards.
• Support implementation and validation of new tests/equipment.
• Assists in the training of new personnel and training of students.
• Assess competence of clinical diagnostic lab staff if applicable
• Provides on call and/or overtime coverage as required.
• Listens, anticipates and responds to the needs of internal and external customers and strives to meet expectations.
• Communicates clearly, accurately and respectfully with customers, donors, and colleagues, ensuring that necessary information is shared.
• Notifies management or other appropriate persons of problems or issues as appropriate.
• Works effectively with inter or intra-department(s) and project teams to meet customer needs and organizational goals.
• Participates in quality and process improvement.
• Supports and promotes Versiti mission and values, both at work and in the community.
Education • Bachelor of Science degree from an accredited college or university in Clinical Laboratory Science/Medical Technology (MLS/CLS/MT) or science related degree with certification as a BB technologist • MLS/CLS/MT/BB American Society for Clinical Pathologist (ASCP) certification required or equivalent • Or, two-year degree from an accredited college, university or technical college in a Medical Laboratory Technician program with an MLT certification and 5 years of IRL experience Experience • Minimum of one-year experience working in an Immunohematology reference laboratory or transfusion service preferred. Skills and Knowledge • Working knowledge of immunohematology and immunology theory. • Skill in the operation of laboratory equipment, instrument, computer and materials. • Effective time managing and organizational skills to perform multiple laboratory tests simultaneously. • Maintain accurate, timely records of patient information and laboratory results. • Strong detail orientation and analytical ability to evaluate and ensure accuracy of data related to laboratory results and patient information. • Effective verbal and written communication skills, including the ability to convey understanding of factual and theoretical information and make recommendations to customers. • Effective problem-solving skills. • Ability to work independently and as a team member. Tools and Technology • Personal Computer (desktop, laptop, tablet) • General office equipment (computer, printer, fax, copy machine) • Microsoft Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) • General laboratory equipment including centrifuges, automated cell washers and incubator/waterbaths for performing clinical tests. • Molecular instrumentation such as light cyclers • Pipettes (single channel, multi-channel, electronic, etc.) • pH meter, microscopes Job Description Position: Scientist Laboratory IRL Reviewed/Revised: 3/2020 Department: IRL, 640 Created: 3/14/19 Reports to: Manager FLSA Status: Non-Exempt Job Code: N3T503 A Beacon of Hope versiti.org PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS & WORKING CONDITIONS • The work is completed in a laboratory environment wearing appropriate Personal Protective Equipment (PPE). • Background noise is present due to the many pieces of equipment located in the laboratory. • Daily tasks include a mixture of standing, sitting, and walking. Frequency of repetitive hand motions is high. Reaching above the head occurs occasionally. Lifting 10-20-pound items occurs occasionally. Looking at computer screens or small items (i.e. wells in a microtiter plate) is common. This job description reflects the current assignment of essential functions and is not meant to be allinclusive or in any way construed as an employment contract. Duties and responsibilities may be assigned or reassigned to this position at any time and may be modified to reasonably accommodate an individual with a disability or for other reasons solely at management’s discretion.
Equal Opportunity Employer. This company will provide equal opportunity to all individuals without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability
Internal Number: 20000125
About Versiti Blood Center of Indiana
Versiti is a national leader in innovative blood health solutions. We are a fusion of donors, scientific curiosity, and precision medicine that recognize the gifts from our donors, and provide the science behind the medicine through our diagnostic laboratories.