Those who have joined the Banner mission come from all walks of life, united by the common goal: Make health care easier, so life can be better. If changing health care for the better sounds like something you want to be part of, we want to hear from you.
This position manages a complex caseload of patients by providing comprehensive nutritional assessments and nutrition-focused physical exams, developing and managing all aspects of appropriate nutrition care plans, and monitoring outcomes of plans. Provides patient and family nutrition counseling and education. Develops Nutrition Standards of Practice and Education material in collaboration with peers. Serves as a member of the interdisciplinary Health Care team providing input and establishing patient care policies, programs, quality improvement activities and provides in-service education in areas of expertise.
Shift: Day Shift
Your pay and benefits (Total Rewards) are important components of your Journey at Banner Health. Banner Health offers a variety of benefit plans to help you and your family. We provide health and financial security options so you can focus on being the best at what you do and enjoying your life.
Located on an 80-acre campus in Mesa, Arizona, Banner Desert Medical Center is one of Arizona's largest and most comprehensive hospitals and is recognized by U.S. News and World Report as one of Phoenix's Best Hospitals. We provide an abundance of exceptional opportunities with more than 600 licensed beds, including over 100 dedicated to children. Areas of excellence include high-risk pregnancy and neonatal care, obstetrics and gynecology, pediatrics, cardiology, oncology and emergency medicine. With 21 operating rooms, we offer a full range of surgical specialties and advanced technology that includes the daVincir Surgical System. About Banner Cardon Children's Medical Center If you desire to provide the best care possible to the most vulnerable patients, come to Cardon Children's Medical Center in Mesa, Ariz. Within our 248-bed, state-of-the-art facility, specially trained nurses, physicians and other clinical professionals utilize the most advanced technology - including iCare ICU monitoring and robotic surgery - to provide high quality, child-friendly, family-centered care. Our facilities feature a recently expanded 104-bed NICU, a 24-bed PICU, six pediatric ORs and a 26-bed ED. We also offer dedicated pediatric rehab, radiology, oncology and hematology capabilities. With clinical diversity, exceptional training programs and a supportive culture, this is a place where you can grow in your career as you help our very special patients.
POSITION SUMMARY This position provides leadership in specialty area of clinical nutrition, establishes practice standards and serves as a mentor to educate colleagues in the specialty nutrition area. This position manages a complex caseload of patients by providing comprehensive nutritional assessments and nutrition-focused physical exams, developing and managing all aspects of appropriate nutrition care plans, and monitoring outcomes of plans. Provides patient and family nutrition counseling and education. Develops Nutrition Standards of Practice and Education material in collaboration with peers. Serves as a member of the interdisciplinary Health Care team providing input and establishing patient care policies, programs, quality improvement activities and provides in-service education in areas of expertise.
CORE FUNCTIONS 1. Provides comprehensive nutrition assessment of patients' nutritional needs, to include nutrition-focused physical exams as appropriate, with at least 50% of patient case load in designated specialty area. Obtains timely and appropriate data and analyzes/interprets data based on evidence-based standards and established practice guidelines.
2. Demonstrates and maintains competency in enteral and parenteral clinical practice protocols and oral nutrition management standard of practice as demonstrated by successful completion of initial competency exams and ongoing evaluation.
3. Writes orders to initiate and manage the nutrition care and of all assigned patients including those receiving nutrition support (parenteral and enteral nutrition) per protocols.
4. Evaluates effectiveness of the care plan and communicates effectively to the other members of the healthcare team to provide optimal nutrition outcomes. Provides pertinent information in the medical records, patient plans of care and/or clinical pathways while meeting requirements of regulatory agencies (i.e. Joint Commission, CMS, State and Local Agencies).
5. Provides nutrition education to patients, families, staff and other health care team professionals through the development of effective teaching materials and in-service programs; Evaluates patient and or family response to education.
6. Provides leadership in area of practice, establishing proper patient care procedures and acts as liaison with nursing areas. Establishes and monitors policies and procedures in area of expertise and communicates areas of concern that impact patient care in this area. Assists with program marketing through the development of effective work relationships with internal and external customers to enhance the use of services provided by clinical program. Serves as mentor to new staff and interns where assigned.
7. Participates in and identifies continuous quality improvement activities in clinical areas to ensure optimal nutrition care outcomes are achieved; Participates in clinical nutrition Continuous Quality Improvement (CQI) activities and completes one outcome study per year to improve on quality of nutrition service or to improve nutrition outcomes. Provides additional coordination of projects and programs.
8. Demonstrates proficiency in area of practice; Responsible for developing training and educational materials to assist colleagues in developing skills in area of specialty and mentors staff members in area of specialty.
9. This position interacts with patients, families, health care providers and nutrition and dietary staff in support of providing high quality nutrition assessment, care planning, delivery and measurement of outcomes. Customers are patients, visitors, physicians and other staff members, vendors, and payors. Position communicates effectively and provides specialty education to ensure optimum nutritional care. Position works independently and provides guidance to nutrition services staff in the development of nutrition plans. Position may also provide community education. Provides leadership in specialized area of practice through participation in establishing standards and policies and procedures.
Performs all functions according to established policies, procedures, regulatory and accreditation requirements, as well as applicable professional standards. Provides all customers of Banner Health with an excellent service experience by consistently demonstrating our core and leader behaviors each and every day.
NOTE: The core functions are intended to describe the general content of and requirements of this position and are not intended to be an exhaustive statement of duties. Specific tasks or responsibilities will be documented as outlined by the incumbent's immediate manager. MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
Must possess the knowledge demonstrated through the completion of a Bachelor's Degree in Nutrition and/or Dietetics. Must be registered through the Commission on Dietetic Registration of the American Dietetic Association and maintain ongoing registration and provide verification of registration annually. Maintains current licensure as required by State law.
Must possess a level of expertise typically achieved through three to five years clinical experience in a specialty area. Must be able to function independently and be effective at prioritizing assigned patient case load as well as the ability to lead and serve as a resource for issues.
To be classified as RD II, at least 50% of dietitian's case load must be in the specialty area. This requires documentation of certification and expertise in one of the following areas: CNSD-Certified Nutrition Support Dietitian (to year 2012); CNSC-Certified Nutrition Support Clinician; CDE-Certified Diabetes Educator; Board Certified Specialist in Pediatric Nutrition (CSP); Board Certified Specialist in Renal Nutrition (CSR); Board Certified Specialist in Oncology Nutrition (CSO); Board Certified Specialist in Gerontology Nutrition (CSG); Board Certified Specialist in Sports Dietetics (CSSD). CNIS Certified Nutrition Injury Specialist--- attained through the successful completion of The Nutrition Injury-Specific Diagnostic Nutrition Residency--An Advanced Practice Approach to Diagnosing Nutritional Disorders. Certified Nutrition Specialist (CNS) administered by the Certification Board for Nutrition Specialists (CBNS); Board Certified Specialist in Obesity and Weight Management (CSOWM).
Additional related education and/or experience preferred.
Internal Number: R10036
About Banner Health
You want to change the health care industry – one life at a time. You belong here. You’re excited to be part of the dramatic changes happening in the health care field. In fact, you thrive on change. But you also understand that excellent, compassionate patient care is the true measure of the success of these changes. You belong at Banner Health. Our award-winning, comprehensive health system includes 23 hospitals in seven western states, primary care health centers, research centers, labs, a network of physician practices and much more. Throughout our system, skilled, compassionate professionals use the latest technology to change the way care is provided. If you’re looking to be a key contributor to a forward-looking organization, you’ll experience a wide variety of professional advantages: •Our vision for changing the future of health care gives you the opportunity to leverage your abilities to achieve something historic. •Our expansive system offers you an unmatched variety of clinical settings – from large urban trauma center to small rural hospital, ambulatory to home health. Our system also includes hospitals specializing in cancer, heart health and pediatrics. •Our many loc...ations also translate into a broad selection of exciting and rewarding lifestyle options – from the big city to the wide-open spaces. •Our commitment to healthcare innovation means you always have the latest technologies at your fingertips to help you provide the finest care possible. •The size, success and growth of our system provide you with the stability and options to pursue your desired career path. •Our competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits offer you options to complement your unique needs.