JOB TITLE:Assistant Professor - Pathophysiology/Physiology/Pathology
LOCATION: Geisinger Commonwealth School of Medicine, Scranton
DEPARTMENT:Medical Education Department
WORK SCHEDULE: Days
WORK TYPE: Full time
This position is a full-time 1.0 FTE position.
We are seeking a faculty candidate with the ability to provide instruction in the area(s) of physiology, pathophysiology or pathology with a focus on the disordered physiology associated with disease including molecular and other mechanisms. Faculty candidates with backgrounds in physiology or other related fields with potential to teach in this area are encouraged to apply. Post-Doctoral Fellows or new faculty with limited experience who are open to learning new pedagogical methods are highly encouraged to apply.
This position is responsible for providing instruction and facilitation for student development of basic science education to include communication, instruction, facilitation, and curriculum development for medical and graduate students.
This position is required to conduct business in a professional and cordial manner that will uphold the integrity and reputation of Geisinger Commonwealth School of Medicine (GCSOM). This position maintains a thorough working knowledge of and adheres to the policies, regulations, and procedures of GCSOM.
• Chair, Department of Medical Education (DME)
• Vice Chair(s), Department of Medical Education (DME)
• Input to Chair and Vice Chair(s) from Course Directors
• This position typically does not supervise
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE:
• An engaged and respected physician or scientist. New faculty and Post-Doctoral Fellows are encouraged to apply.
• Demonstrated educational experience and scholarly activity comporting with academic rank
• Excellent interprofessional skills; attention to detail; time and ability to monitor GCSOM email communications in a timely fashion; ability to execute responsibilities of the job; demonstrate commitment to facilitating learning in the MD and MBS program.
• Experience in small group activities or familiarity with active learning/evidence-based pedagogy is not required but considered a plus. Training and faculty development in these areas will be offered to the candidate.
EDUCATION/EXPERIENCE AND/OR TRAINING
• Terminal Degree (e.g., Ph.D., MD, DO, PA, NP) with clinical or educational experience (or equivalent)
• Educational experiences desired in an appropriate educational setting
• Knowledge in fields of pathology or physiology or pathophysiology
• Potential for scholarly activity in an academic setting
• Experience in active/small group/problem based learning or other evidence base pedagogy is not required but desirable
LICENSES OR CERTIFICATIONS
• a valid driver’s license, passport or other appropriate identification is required.
TOOLS AND EQUIPMENT:
• Does not apply
• Demonstrated educational experience and potential for scholarly activity comporting with academic rank
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
– Identify problems, investigate the root-cause, and make recommendations for solutions
VERBAL COMMUNICATION SKILLS
– Use verbal skills to transfer information to large groups and/or influence others.
WRITTEN COMMUNICATION SKILLS
– Prepare educational lectures, slides, podcasts, business documents, notes, scientific and academic papers, posters, presentations, etc.
– Presentation software (e,g, Microsoft Power Point, Publisher)
– Spreadsheet software (e.g. Microsoft Access, Excel)
– Word processing software (e.g. Microsoft Word)
– Ability to interact with educational platform such as Canvas, Empower, One45
– Follow established confidentiality policy, safety standards, or applicable regulations
– Organizational skills
– Possess and exhibit professional demeanor/behavior
– Work well in team-based, dynamic environment
WORKING CONDITIONS/PHYSICAL DEMANDS:
Work is typically performed in an office environment. Position may involve driving as required based on organizational structure.
MENTAL DEMANDS typically required
• Concentration and attentiveness
• High level of accurate and organized record keeping
• High pressure for results (e.g., productivity, deadlines, etc.)
• Independent judgment and discretion
• Manage multiple projects and tasks
• Interact cordially and professionally with co-workers and community
• Read, comprehend, and follow instructions and work orders
PHYSICAL DEMANDS typically required
• CONSTANTLY INCURRED (more than 75% time on job)
– Repetitive finger movement
– Ability to communicate orally
– Ability to hear conversation
• FREQUENTLY INCURRED (25 – 75% time on job)
– Ability to stand
– Ability to walk
– Ability to sit
– Ability to use both legs
– Ability to climb stairs
– Ability to use legs/arms to climb
– Ability to balance
– Ability to stoop
• OCCASIONALLY INCURRED (up to 25% time on job)
– Ability to lift (maximum of 10 lbs.)
– Reaching at high or low level
– Repetitive twisting or pressure involving hands or wrists
– Ability to pull hand over head
– Ability to repeatedly bend
– Ability to operate truck/motor vehicle
WORKING CONDITIONS typically required
This position typically requires work in a normal office environment.
PERSONAL PROTECTIVE EQUIPMENT typically required
• OCCASIONALLY INCURRED (up to 25% time on job)
– Gloves; latex/vinyl; work gloves etc.
– Safety glasses
The specific statements shown in each section of this description are not intended to be all-inclusive. They represent typical elements considered necessary to successfully perform the job.
OUR PURPOSE & VALUES: Everything we do is about caring for our patients, our members, our students, our Geisinger family and our communities. KINDNESS: We strive to treat everyone as we would hope to be treated ourselves. EXCELLENCE: We treasure colleagues who humbly strive for excellence. LEARNING: We share our knowledge with the best and brightest to better prepare the caregivers for tomorrow. INNOVATION: We constantly seek new and better ways to care for our patients, our members, our community, and the nation.
One of the nation’s most innovative health services organizations, Geisinger serves more than 1.5 million patients in Pennsylvania and New Jersey. The system includes 13 hospital campuses, a nearly 600,000-member health plan, two research centers and the Geisinger Commonwealth School of Medicine. A physician-led organization, with approximately 32,000 employees and more than 1,800 employed physicians, Geisinger leverages an estimated $12.7 billion positive annual impact on the Pennsylvania and New Jersey economies. Repeatedly recognized nationally for integration, quality and service, Geisinger has a long-standing commitment to patient care, medical education, research and community service. For more information, visit geisinger.org or connect with us onFacebook, Instagram, LinkedInand Twitter.
** Does not qualify for J-1 waiver. We are an Affirmative Action, Equal Opportunity Employer Women and Minorities are Encouraged to Apply. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability or their protected veteran status.
*Domestic partner benefits not applicable at Geisinger Holy Spirit.
At Geisinger, our innovative ideas are inspired by the communities we serve – like our Fresh Food
Farmacy, a program that delivers life-saving healthy alternatives to patients with diabetes. With additional tools like our MyCode Community Health Initiative, one of the first health system genome sequencing
programs, and our new asthma app suite that we developed in partnership with AstraZeneca, it’s no wonder we’re ranked one of the Top 5 Most Innovative Healthcare Systems by Becker's Hospital Review. We continually work towards continuous improvement in a culture where everyone has a voice and firmly believe that better begins with all of us.
Founded more than 100 years ago, Geisinger serves more than three million residents throughout central, south-central and northeastern Pennsylvania and southern New Jersey. Our physician-led system is comprised of 30,000 employees, including 1,600 employed physicians, and consists of 13 hospital campuses, the Geisinger Health Plan, Geisinger Commonwealth School of Medicine and two research centers.
What you do at Geisinger shapes the future of health and improves lives – for our patients, communities, and you.