Los Angeles, CA. VA Greater Los Angeles Healthcare System is currently seeking a certified CLS, MLS, or MT to join our laboratory team. The position will be primarily based at West Los Angeles Healthcare Center, a Department of Veterans Affairs hospital, located in Los Angeles, California. This is a unique opportunity to join a congenial pathology group, which promotes a balanced and healthy work / family life, and provides opportunity to build strong relationships with other physicians/staff within the health system we serve.
Under the direct technical supervision of the Shift Supervisor and the administrative supervision of the Laboratory Manager, the Medical Technologist independently performs a variety of clinical assays and the associated supporting work for use in the diagnosis, treatment, and prevention of disease. Performs start-up, maintenance, and troubleshooting procedures on the instruments and laboratory equipment. Performs quality control and quality assurance procedures as required and authorized by the Laboratory Directors (Director and Technical Supervisor). All tasks shall be performed in accordance with established departmental procedures and documentation protocols.
• Performs high-complexity tests as authorized by the technical supervisors.
• Performs routine and complex chemical, cytologic, hematologic, histologic, microscopic, morphologic, immunologic, and/or microbiologic procedures on blood and/or other body fluids or specimens using manual or automated techniques and information systems.
• Performs testing of newly developed lab procedures and techniques, as directed and report on results.
• Maintains complete and accurate documentation and records.
• Performs case review prior to final report.
• Trains other staff as assigned.
• Perform other related duties as qualified, trained and assigned.
• This job has no supervisory responsibilities.
Scheduled Hours: 40
Working Days: Mon, Tue, Wed, Thu, Fri with Rotating Weekends and Holidays
Start: 7:00 AM Working Hours End: 3:30PM
• Bachelor’s degree in biological or clinical laboratory science or a field related to genetics from an US-accredited college or university or equivalent.
• Must be a Certified Clinical Laboratory Specialist, Medical Laboratory Scientist or Medical Technologist by ASCP, AMT, AABB or equivalent.
• Demonstrates and maintains professional conduct including courtesy and patience in all interactions with patients, members, physicians, co-workers, volunteers and visitors. Willing to provide excellent service within the bounds of one’s ability, policies and bargaining unit agreement, as applicable.
• Ability to read and comprehend protocols, instructions, correspondence, and memos, and communicate as the job requires.
• Must be willing to work in a Labor Management Partnership environment.
Internal Number: 1
About Department of Veterans Affairs
The VA Greater Los Angeles Healthcare System (VAGLAHS) is one of the largest health care facilities within the Department of Veterans Affairs. It is one component of the VA Desert Pacific Healthcare Network (VISN22) offering services to Veterans residing in Southern California and Southern Nevada. VAGLAHS consists of two ambulatory care centers, a tertiary care facility and 8 community based outpatient clinics. There are 1.4 million Veterans in the VAGLAHS service area. VAGLAHS is affiliated with both UCLA School of Medicine and USC School of Medicine, as well as more than 45 colleges, universities and vocational schools in 17 different medical, nursing, paramedical and administrative programs.