Performs moderate and high complexity tests in a clinical laboratory for use in the treatment and diagnosis of disease.
1. Performs routine tests in clinical laboratories for use in the treatment and diagnosis of disease using standard techniques and equipment. Performs related duties in laboratory to include storing and labeling specimens and using manual and automatic equipment to prepare specimens and perform analytical tests.
2. Prepares solutions, regents and stains, following standard laboratory formulas and procedures.
3. Assures remedial action is taken and documented whenever tests systems deviate from established performance specifications.
4. Ensures that patient testing results are not reported until corrective action has been taken and the test system is functioning properly.
5. Maintains detailed records of tests performed and report laboratory test results to appropriate personnel; recognize Quality Control shifts and trends and take appropriate action whenever necessary.
6. Operates current and new equipment, instruments and apparatus required for specific laboratory tests and assume adequate responsibility to maintain operations including preventive maintenance on equipment.
7. Calibrates and performs routine maintenance on test equipment, cleans laboratory equipment and instruments, maintains supply of reagents; performs routine maintenance on equipment.
8. Participates in specimen collection when required according to test requested, either directly by venipuncture or skin procedure. Maintains responsibility for patient identification, specimen labeling and collection.
9. Provides technical guidance and instruction to students, interns, residents, staff and other employees.
10. Adheres to Quality Control, Quality Assurance, Safety and Infection Control practices to assure compliance with internal and external regulations.
11. Performs other duties as assigned.
MT or MLT with the ASCP
2 years experience in any or all clinical laboratory disciplines preferred.
Experience involving patient contact, customer service in a medical setting preferred.
Strong verbal and written communication skills.
Basic knowledge of laboratory and hospital computer systems.
Working knowledge of laboratory safety and infection control procedures and practices including standard precautions and hazardous chemical handling.
Ability to demonstrate required dexterity, knowledge , and ability to complete assigned laboratory tasks and skills, attention to detail and compliance with all appropriate regulatory and safety requirements.
Ability to maintain effective working relationships with colleagues.
Additional Salary Information: Excellent Benefit package. Health, Dental and Vision coverage starts on day one of employment. 401(k), Pension and Time off.
Internal Number: 2019-14859
About St. Luke's Des Peres Hospital
St. Luke's is a faith-based, nonprofit healthcare provider committed to improving the quality of life for our patients and the community. Our compassionate healthcare team furthers this mission by providing high quality, nationally-recognized care and achieving excellent patient satisfaction.