Working under direct supervision, the Research Associate II performs routine and increasingly complex laboratory tasks and procedures and develops technical expertise in one or more areas relevant to research projects in a microbiology laboratory. The Research Associate II will participate in research activities involving all aspects of the research process, to include, but not limited to; investigation, technical, testing/validation of results, and report findings. The Associate will perform a variety of routine experimental protocols and procedures to support the objectives of laboratory research projects. The Associate will observe and comply with safety standards and procedures, assist in preparation of data for publication and/or presentation at scholarly meetings, and assist in general laboratory maintenance. This position does not have supervisory responsibilities.
ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Will perform all duties and responsibilities described below under the direction of their supervisor Dr. Anders Berg.
- After training with their supervisor or after their technical competency is affirmed by their supervisor, will perform a variety of increasingly complex experimental laboratory protocols and procedures and assist in the design of new complex or unusual protocols and techniques for the laboratory. In particular, will train to operate and maintain liquid chromatography-mass spectrometry systems so that they may independently perform standard mass spectrometry assay experiments as directed by their supervisor.
- After training in care of mouse animal models used in the lab and obtaining necessary approvals from Animal Facilities and IACUC, will assist with breeding and care of animals when needed.
- Assists in the operation of specialized equipment, as required by the area of research.
- Assists in preparation of data for publication and/or presentation at scholarly meetings.
- Observes and complies with safety standards and procedures.
- Keeps accurate and detailed records of experiments and results, and assist in identifying and troubleshooting of unexpected results.
- Orients research laboratory assistants or lower level research associates and undergraduate student researchers on day-to-day lab operations and routine procedures.
- Orders laboratory supplies and supports laboratory operations.
- Accepts responsibilities and duties as the designated Laboratory Safety Officer for Berg Lab.
- Maintains lab equipment and related records and may coordinate use of lab equipment
- Helps others in lab maintain cleanliness and orderliness of the laboratory space.
- Will help organize, schedule, facilitate, and attend scheduled laboratory meetings. Will schedule use of a conference room and procure a laptop and projector for these meeting as needed.
- Will maintain good communication with their supervisor and other members of the lab, and will respect the confidentiality.
Since its beginning in 1902, Cedars-Sinai has evolved to meet the healthcare needs of one of the most diverse regions in the nation, continually setting new standards in quality and innovation in patient care, research, teaching and community service. Today, Cedars-Sinai is widely known for its national leadership in transforming healthcare for the benefit of patients.Cedars-Sinai is one of the largest nonprofit academic medical centers in the U.S. with 886 licensed beds, 2,100 physicians, 2,800 nurses and thousands of other healthcare professionals and staff. Clinical programs range from primary care for preventing, diagnosing and treating common conditions to specialized treatments for rare, complex and advanced illnesses. In addition, Cedars-Sinai serves the community through its Medical Network, which includes the highly rated Cedars-Sinai Medical Group and Cedars-Sinai Health Associates. Cedars-Sinai has consistently been named one of America’s Best Hospitals by U.S. News & World Report, has received the National Research Corporation’s Consumer Choice Award 18 years in a row for providing the highest quality medical care in Los Angeles, and has the longest running Magnet desig...nation for nursing excellence in California. Cedars-Sinai is a leader in the clinical care and research of heart disease, cancer and brain disorders, among other areas. Pioneering research achievements include using cardiac stem cells to repair damaged hearts, developing minimally invasive surgical techniques and discovering new types of drugs to target cancer more precisely. Cedars-Sinai also impacts the future of healthcare through education programs that encompass everything from highly competitive medical residency and fellowship programs to a biomedical science and translational medicine PhD program, advanced training for nurses and educational opportunities for allied health professionals. Most notably, Cedars-Sinai demonstrates a longstanding commitment to strengthening the Los Angeles community through wide-ranging programs that improve the health of its most vulnerable residents.