If interested in applying for this position, please visit www.mghcareers.org and search JOB ID# 3073830
The Chemistry section Supervisor reports directly to the Technical Director. Responsibilities encompass all the daily operations of the Core Lab; in conjunction with other Core Lab supervisors, coordinates work to provide timely completion of all tests; responsible for weekly payroll and scheduling of lab personnel (including time off); monitors test procedures as necessary to ensure conformance to lab quality control criteria and hospital policies and procedures; provided training, monitors competency, and delivers on-time performance reviews and corrective action to chemistry staff. Oversees and maintains QC, QA, methods books, quality control logs, maintenance logs, quality assurance logs, proficiency testing logs; monitors/documents proficiency testing; purchases supplies, equipment, and oversees maintenance of all equipment; submits reports, as required, by the Technical Director and/or Laboratory Director. Assists in the implementation of hospital, departmental, and laboratory policies, as defined by Laboratory Management and the hospital.
Performs, demonstrates, and teaches techniques for all clinical laboratory tests provided in their section of the laboratory.
Provides smooth operation of Core Chemistry Lab; maintains adequate staffing coverage; and insures that all personnel are trained and maintain competencies
Oversees all quality control procedures, oversees maintenance on instruments and may troubleshoot instrument malfunctions. Oversees reagent crossover and validation studies. Performs patient testing as required.
Orders supplies and equipment as needed from an appropriate vendor. Evaluates new tests, products; suggests to the Technical Director and/or Lab Director any appropriate changes in test methods or equipment; functions as liaison with sales representative and hospital. Oversees instruction of pathology residents and or students in Chemistry procedures
Maintains close liaison and cooperation with other lab sections and hospital staff to provide coordination of activities which affect patient care. Functions as resource person for Central Processing and medical/nursing staff in regard to diagnostic testing in the Core Chemistry Lab.
Operates computer terminal to enter and retrieve pertinent laboratory reports and information. Primary lab resource for LIS testing/training and development. Performs minor maintenance on computer terminals, as necessary; troubleshoots minor software and hardware malfunctions; notifies IS Help Desk of major malfunctions or problems.
Ensures proper department orientation for all new employees. Oversees continuing education for all lab employees. Develops and implements internal competencies for all staff and maintains documentation of same. Coordinates/conducts training lab staff on new methods/procedures
Coordinates proficiency testing and correlations, PT review and investigates PT deficiencies according to lab policy as requested or applicable. Completes and maintains documentation as required by lab policy and regulatory standards.
May function as Lab Safety Officer.
Follows all safety policies and procedures (including infection control and hazardous material). Responds to and notifies Technical Director and/or Safety Officer of unsafe conditions. Successfully participates in safety education and competency activities. Recommends appropriate policy and procedures to ensure a safe working environment.
Writes and updates instrument and general laboratory procedure manuals; ensures that procedure manuals are reviewed and approved by the Lab Director annually. Implements new policies and procedures, as needed.
Attends departmental meetings and serves on committees as directed by the Technical Director. Attends educational seminars and conferences to remain current with technological advancements and trends with Technical Director approval.
Prepares various statistical and narrative reports regarding budgets, work load units (or equivalent), QC, QA, etc. Carry through to completion special projects assigned by the Technical Director.
Performs/documents employee corrective action with consultation from Technical Director, Lab Director and/or Human Resources, as requested or applicable. Assists in analysis for new FTE requests as requested or applicable.
Oversees/prepares staffing schedules. Payroll report submission and/or approval. Use of Kronos and PeopleSoft for HR management of new hires and transfer of staff, as required.
Coordinates monitoring of lab performance/regulatory compliance. Reports regulatory deficiencies to the Technical Director and Lab Director as appropriate. Coordinates the preparation of all lab staff for unannounced Joint Commission and other regulatory agency surveys, as requested or applicable. Investigates and follows up for Safety Reports as requested.
Prepares and conducts performance evaluations of lab staff, use of PeopleSoft to complete HR process as requested or applicable. Conducts interviews and recommends candidates for hiring, working with the Pathology HR generalist and recruiter. Works with Technical Director and/or Lab Director as applicable, to obtain final approval on candidate selection.
May aid in developing the yearly operating budget process.
Resource/consultant for unusual/abnormal patient findings, and instrument technical problems.
Functions as Technical Director at times when Technical Director is not available.
Provides supervisory support on holidays and weekends.
Massachusetts General Hospital is an Equal Opportunity Employer.By embracing diverse skills, perspectives and ideas, we choose to lead. Applications from protected veterans and individuals with disabilities are strongly encouraged.
BS or BA in Science from an accredited college; Bachelors Degree in Medical Technology preferred
Certification from an approved agency
Significant or specialized experience (2 years in specialty)
1. Advanced knowledge of Standard Lab practice.
2. Read, write, and comprehend English sufficiently to communicate with lab or hospital staff and to follow procedures.
3. Basic anatomy and physiology.
4. Understand relevant theory to effectively evaluate accuracy of results.
5. Advanced personnel policies and hiring/termination procedures. Knowledge and understanding of hospital administrative and HR policies to ensure compliance.
6. Advanced quality assurance and quality control theory and practice including statistical evaluations. Advanced level of resolving technical issues and interpreting QC data.
7. Demonstrate organizational skills and abilities to manage workflow effectively
8. Basic knowledge of instrument troubleshooting techniques. Ability to diagnose instrument, QC and assay problems and take appropriate action.
9. Detailed knowledge of current regulatory polices.
10. Perform moderate to complex tests accurately, efficiently and according to procedure.
11. Perform quality control on all tests accurately and according to procedure.
12. Make appropriate decisions by reviewing facts and weighing options, develop and complete follow-up actions.
13. Train others in specific lab procedures.
14. Document test information accurately.
15. Communicate effectively with all lab and hospital staff.
16. Standard safety and infection control procedures including standard precautions.
17. Able to successfully design, implement and complete projects.
18. Possess manual dexterity and visual acuity.
19. Capable of physical exertion including walking, standing, sitting and bending.
20. Able to work under stress of time constraints and heavy workload demands requiring accuracy.
21. Lead others, provide guidance, instruction and foster teamwork and cooperation. Strong personnel principles and practice. Ability to coach and mentor employees to attain higher level of performance.
22. Demonstrate advanced computer skills.
Internal Number: 3073830
About The Massachusetts General Hospital
Massachusetts General Hospital is an Equal Opportunity Employer. By embracing diverse skills, perspectives and ideas, we choose to lead. Applications from protected veterans and individuals with disabilities are strongly encouraged.