Specialty Laboratory Technologist
Children’s Hospital of Pittsburgh of UPMC
Job ID: 568486
Children's Hospital of Pittsburgh of UPMC is hiring a Specialty Laboratory Technologist to help support the Transplant Bone Marrow Specialty Lab! This position would be scheduled for the day shift. Due to the nature of the work, it requires some flexibility outside of normal business hours.
You would have the ability to provide authority, responsibility and accountability for the accurate performance of laboratory testing of an advanced nature. These tests are used in the diagnosis and treatment of patients and in the evaluation of a patient's response to treatment. You would also apply competent clinical knowledge to achieve accurate clinical testing which leads to quality patient care outcomes, as well as develop and perform clinical procedures using highly sophisticated techniques and advanced instrumentation.
- Adhere to established laboratory and hospital policies in areas of procedures, protocols, methods, quality control, quality assurance, safety, compliance and personnel policies.
- Assume responsibility for first-line supervision of the section/department on a temporary basis as delegated.
- Calculate and analyze assay/test results and quality control information utilizing all relevant information including patient histories, formulas or calculations, or computerized data processing. Investigate abnormal results according to established protocols.
- Collect background information for testing/experiments; perform test set-up; prepare instrument, work area, and equipment; ensure validity of test specimens.
- Communicate information gained from research projects in seminars, conferences, in-services and continuing education meetings; may publish research results.
- Implement all quality controls to ensure test validity; adhere to departmental safety standards in responsibly handling, processing and testing specimens and materials.
- Interact with all laboratory customers courteously and professionally; responds to telephone inquiries in a timely manner.
- Maintain (as possible), calibrate and clean equipment; verify proper function through standardization and controls; troubleshoot and document minor instrumentation problems and repairs.
- Maintain detailed laboratory documentation of all experiments performed and related data and submits written reports of test results.
- Maintain in-depth knowledge of techniques, principles, and instruments and their interrelationships as well as physiological conditions affecting test results.
- Orient and instruct fellows, medical students and other allied health care personnel in regards to laboratory research techniques and methodology and clinical applicability of research theory, practice and finding.
- Participate in the design and methodology of research and development projects, including how resultant data would best be analyzed.
- Perform all responsibilities according to the philosophy of the UPMC Health System such that the needs of our customers are fulfilled.
- Prepare multiple and various routine and non-routine clinical laboratory procedures manually or by utilizing automated and semi-automated equipment including highly sophisticated testing devices.
- Remain abreast of developments in medical research and care in order that research conducted continues to be relevant; incorporate advances and innovations as considered appropriate.
- Autologous/Allogeneic processing- Perform processings independently. Ability to use independent judgment and advanced clinical knowledge to problem solve unanticipated processing problems.
- Cell quantification/flow cytometry- Perform accurate cell counts.Ability to troubleshoot instrumentation.
- Consultation- Consult with physicians, principal investigators, nurse coordinators, floor nurses and NMDP with regard to infusion dosages. Ability to professionally assist clinical personnel with decision making.
- Cryopreservation- Perform cryopreservation procedures independently. Ability to troubleshoot controlled rate freezers.
- Infusions- Perform all infusion procedures independently. Ability to problem solve at patient bedside (under pressure).
- Liquid nitrogen maintenance- Maintain liquid nitrogen vessels. Ability to troubleshoot vessel alarms with enough confidence to take on-call.
- Quality control/quality assurance- Perform all required QC and document. Ability to troubleshoot and solve problems. Ability to cover for supervisor.
- Quality improvement- Review procedures for accuracy. Ability to significantly revise existing procedures. Work with supervisor and lab director to develop, validate, and implement new procedures.
- Data entry/report generation- Enter accurate results into spreadsheets & generate reports. Ability to maintain new software applications.
- Reagents and supplies- use in a cost-effective manner; monitor and maintain an appropriate supply inventory.